Monday, February 16, 2009

Things I've Learned in the Hands of a Master

"Edwina, The many comments below may discourage you, but that's not my intention."

My heart sank. I scrolled down the manuscript and read comment after comment until I couldn't read another word.

I closed my lap top and sat with my palms pressed against my eyes. I took several deep breaths and swallowed. I didn't want to cry.

"Honey, it's okay. You're still a good writer." My husband rubbed my shoulders.

I nodded.

Questions began to bombard my mind. Who said you could write? Have you spent a year wasting your time?

I shook my head to chase away the words that discouraged me. Isn't this what I wanted? An opportunity to have my writing critiqued by a master of the craft? Why was it so painful?

I learned when you are in the hands of a master and start to look around, doubt crowds your thoughts.

"You can write." I had heard often. Maybe too often.

When I presented what I thought was my best to a well-known writer, I felt defeated when I read his critique. The pain wasn't because his words were unkind. It was painful because I had been broken.

I learned you need to bend when you sit at the feet of a master. If you don't bend, you will break.

The one who critiqued my work wanted to make me better. I presented a piece that I thought needed polishing. The master took me back to the beginning of the process. The piece needed to be taken apart.

I learned the master can see what the student can't.

The next morning I sat in front of my computer. I cried. I asked God to make me teachable. An hour later, I had typed out two paragraphs the way I had been instructed. After many critiques, I received the words I longed to hear.

"YOU GOT IT. Excellent."

Being teachable is important and brokenness is sometimes part of the process. Painful; yes, but worth it.

In the hands of a master, I have so much to learn.

2 comments:

Hybrid J said...

Hi Edwina,
Just stumbled on your blog and read this post. A very moving and powerful snippet of your experience with a master. May I say that at least you had someone who told you that you can write and YOU GOT IT! I have worked on my writings for years and still waiting for such comments. So, fellow writer, hang in there and know that you're on the right track. Cheers and good luck to your writings!

Edwina Perkins said...

Thank you Hybrid J. Your words are encouraging.