Friday, July 18, 2008

Nature of the Beast

New to the world of blogging, I've struggled to get my hands around two concepts: diary and public domain.

In my mind, a diary has always represented a place where one can write their deepest and most private thoughts. A close and dear friend may be presented with the privilege of peaking into the inner most parts of my being, but that is after they have declared their loyalty for a long time. No where in my definition of a diary does the scrutiny of total strangers enter the picture.

I decided to consult my word document on the definition of "blog." Underlining the word I had typed, my computer informed me that I had made a mistake. Interesting. So, I inquired as to the word my trusted electronic friend suggest I use. Bog, bloc, blot, blob, or blow. Not even close.

Okay, what about "Blogger?" Bolger, Flogger, Logger, or Boggier. Boogier? I don't think so.

My college-age daughter tells me, when in doubt--dictionary.com. This is what I found.

Blog, noun, online dairy. There in lies the problem.

My diary will remain my diary. Pen and paper making contact to convey my private thoughts is still very important to me. And my blog will remain my blog; revealing yet another side of me that emerges when fingers glide across a keyboard.

For now, I will continue to try to understand the nature of blogging and see where it takes me.

No comments: