Saturday, July 19, 2008

Stuff

Thinking about what to blog, I had decided to share about an event in the lives of my twins. That is until I received an e-mail from a friend.

She has spent the last six days in the hospital with her son. A couple of surgeries later, the problem is still not resolved. After reading through her e-mail that was full of medical jargon that I do not understand, one sentence caught my attention.

A week in the hospital truly gives you a new perspective on life and a new appreciation for all things simple and complex.

She began listing the things she missed that I, for one, have been guilty of not appreciating at times.

Sleeping in her own bed.

Seeing her child healthy and up running around.

Sitting on the couch talking with her daughter.

Eating food that she prepared.

There were several more desires on her list, but what caught my attention was her closing statement. She closed with saying, "it's just stuff." Looking around at the "stuff" in my life, I understand what she was saying. It's not the stuff, it's the people in our lives that make the stuff matter.

Looking at the clutter on the table doesn't bring me the frustration that it has over the last few days. It is a reminder that life is not always neat and tidy, but stuff is happening in and around our home.

Who knows, maybe I will eventually write about my "all-you-can-eat" pancake experience with the twins and two of their friends. After all, it is part of the stuff that makes my family so dear and special to me.

No comments: