Sunday, August 10, 2008

I Want My Mommy!

The tears flowed down his face yet he made no attempt to stop them. Turning away he spoke in an inaudible whisper.

We waited.

Turning toward us again, he said loud enough to be heard, "I want my Mommy." The tears rolled down his face and carried the pain that he felt.

The camera continued rolling as he walked away, shoulders slumped and quivering, he tried to control his sobs.

This easily could be a scene found in a rerun of Lassie, but in actually it is a scene from a reality show. All viewers witnessed a grown man crying and asking for his "Mommy".

The rawness of reality shows can sometimes reveal the unexpected. Why are we so enthralled with someone else pain? Is it because of the pain in our own lives?

The individual lost the dream he had of being #1 and did what came natural to him in a time of extreme disappointment--he asked for his Mom. It didn't matter that he was a grown man.

I was reminded of how often we turn to something that gives us the most comfort when we face the most pain.

When overwhelming disappointment catches you off guard, what do you cry out for. Friends? Family? Material things?

When I'm feeling squeezed like a tube of toothpaste, I can only hope I cry out to the One who brings me the most comfort.

"I want my Daddy." My Abba, Father.

No comments: