Wednesday, August 13, 2008

My Past Finally Caught Up With Me

Tired, late at night, and distracted can equal a date with disaster; especially when behind the wheel of a car.

Having arrived back in town after almost three weeks of being away, I opted to go to a meeting Tuesday night. I wanted to go, yet after flying Orlando to Seattle, back to Orlando to Philadelphia and back to Orlando, fatigue had caught up with me.

Heading home Tuesday, I was quickly yanked out of my tiredness when a blue and white lights appeared in my rear view mirror. Heart pounding fast, I pulled over.

"Is there a problem, officer?"

"Turn into the next street so we are not in the middle of the road." The command was stern.

Driving well under the speed limit, I drove the three hundred or so yards with the officer close behind me. His lights on the entire time.

My mind was spinning. What did I do?

Speeding? No.

Following too closely? No.

The last thing I remembered doing was moving my purse and cell phone so they would not slide to the floor if I needed to stop. Gut wrenching feelings flood through me. Did I do something while relocating my phone? I had no idea.

Walking up to my window the questions started. Was I aware of the offense I had made? No. Where was I coming from? A friend's house.

"Driver's license, proof of insurance, and registration, ma'am."

Fumbling and shaken, I produced what was requested. As the officer went back to his car my mind tried to embrace what was happening. Had I really done something that required a ticket? I prayed.

Moments felt like an eternity before he returned.

"Mrs. Perkins, how long have you been driving?"

I stopped breathing.

"Since I was seventeen, officer."

He smiled. He actually smiled!

"You have an impeccable record. Just be careful and drive home safely."

An impeccable record? I repeated to myself as I pulled away.

A past of twenty years with no tickets or traffic violations had caught up with me and I had been given favor.

No comments: